Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Creating Your Own Curriculum 101, Part 2

Earlier this week I started a series on how to create your own curriculum. So far we've covered praying for a goal or what I like to call a "destination". This is the answer to the question "where do I want be this time next year?" The answer to that question is different for everyone. For me the destination depends on

  • God's call for us
  • Where our family is right now
  • Where we left of a couple of months ago

Since our main purpose and goal for homeschooling is to better equip our kids to do God's "work" then our main focus this year as well as the years prior is Character Training.
This year we will continue to memorize scripture as a family. The kids will begin keeping a "Christian Character Traits Notebook" We will continue doing our daily devotions out of the Fun & Active Devotions For Kids book. The book that we will be using for our character training is A Child's Book Of Character Building by Ron & Rebekah Coriell. We will continue to read God's word and gain knowledge of his will and instruction for our lives.

We will be focusing on one character trait per month. The main character traits that we will be studying for this year are, Attentive, Faith, Creative, Diligence, Patience, Contentment, Obedience, Wisdom, Tenderhearted, Thankfulness, Honesty and Joyfulness.

We want God to be the center of our homeschooling as well as our daily family life. This character training is not only for the children, but for the whole family to do together. I know I can definitely benefit from it. (I'm a real work in progress). The kids are very excited about starting the new school year and so am I. Only 6 more days.....

If you would like to start on character training with your kids here are some of the great free resources that I've been using:
http://simplycharlottemason.com We don't really fallow Charlotte Mason but I do like her approach to character training. I really like the forum on this site too.

http://www.characterjournal.com Great site

http://web2.airmail.net/dpelc/yellow This one is truly God's Yellow pages. You can find every bible reference here. I really love this site.

Well that's all for today. Join me next time as I set up the years goals for the "3 R's".

bye

No comments: