Here are 10 ways that I save money...
- Make A Budget - as Dave Ramsey said, "give every dollar a name"
- Plan Your Meals - I have 5 weeks of menus that rotate every month, by doing this I know exactly how much of what I need to last a whole month
- Shop Wisely - Shop using coupons and look out for sales
- Cook From Scratch - not only is it healthier but it really does save you a lot of money
- Thrift Stores - shop at thrift stores whenever possible. I've found a lot of treasures in my time just by shopping at second hand stores.
- Do It Yourself - Why pay others to do things when you can do it your self (minor home repairs, hair care, birthday cakes etc, etc)
- Use Cash - it's easier to keep track of how much you are spending when you use cash.
- Library - did you know that you can use the library to check out books, movies, video games and magazines all for free?
- Go out for desert- When going out with your spouse on a date, try eating dinner at home and going out for desert instead.
- Take Care Of what You Already Have - doing repairs at your home immediately can prevent you from having to pay the pros to fix a big problem later (that slow drain could be fixed with some liquid Drano now, but if you wait 2 months you might need a professional plumber)
Later this week I will be posting about how to put together a basic budget and ways to reduce your bills. Until then if you have some great tips on other ways to save money please share your thoughts. I am always looking for ways to minimize my spending and maximize my savings.